Don’t make these 7 mistakes News blogs and entertainment blogs are Making In Nigeria
Many Nigerians want to make money over the internet just like Linda Ikeji. However, so many bloggers, and online content owners are making grave errors that will hinder them from achieving their online marketing goal.
Top 7 Mistakes Nigerian News Blogs, Entertainment blog and Website are making:
- Not Breaking the News: Certainly, there is another blogger who is going to write on an industry new development if you don’t. What do you think will happen to his post, as against yours? Many people will throng to his blog to read the breaking news.
If you own a news blog or an entertainment blog in Nigeria, then your problem is compounded by the numerous blogs out there who are hungry for stories, who keep scouting. The key is to drop the new development earlier than any other blogger. Take this post on using the new facebook watch to increase your visitors for instance is a good example of breaking the news in Nigeria.
- Breaking Headlines Instead of Breaking news: It is good strategy to prick desire of the reader by dropping a punch headline and because we all love breaking news, some publishers tend to break headlines instead of news. The problem is, when you are merely lying just to arouse curiosity of the readers with “punch” headlines will make your audience lost confidence in your blog. I have blacklisted several blogs because of such practices myself.
Remedy: Stay fresh, always scout for new content. If you own a news blog, You can create an eye witness forum for visitors to report live unfolding events in their areas.
If you own a entertainment blog, keeping taps with celebrities wouldn’t be a bad idea. Your goal should be to get to the information before anyone else.
- Hoping to generate quick Money: Blogging can pay your bills when you consistently satisfy your readers desires, i.e give them what they are looking for. However, starting a blog one week with the hope that it will buy you a Ferrari the next week will be disappointing. In a research post, 5 out of 12 online content creators discovered that the biggest mistake of bloggers is expecting quick money from their blog. This is not a bad expectation, but blogs don’t instantly generate cash for the blogger.
Remedy: Focus on writing awesome and helpful post articles. That is the only guarantee for regular visits and continued patronage of your business. Perhaps with a little optimization to add. Again, don’t expect your blog will buy you a Ferrari in a matter of weeks.
- Plagiarism: Some Nigerians buy a domain name, pay for a new blog to be developed and hosted only to be uploading “copy, copy”(plagiarized) contents on it. My friend, if you have such motifs to start a blog, please jettison it immediately. Why? Because the few visitors you get will know you for a cheat, then worse, google will discover your sharp practice and penalize your site.
Remedy: Blog in a niche that you are interested in and you are knowledgeable about. That way, you won’t be blindly lifting other bloggers content and implementing to your blog.
- SEO issues: poor implementation of on-page SEO like white space, bad color combination, wrong keyword implementation. Some off-page and technical SEO factors like sitemap, structure data etc affect negatively your blog’s success. A blog with proper SEO implementation has a better chance of being visited regularly than a blog whose SEO is not properly done.
Remedy: Conduct regular SEO audits on your blog. Subscribe to a SEO blog newsletter to learn useful SEO tricks to implement on your website.
Learn free SEO in 2020
- Not Writing for the Audience: Blogging is about providing relevant information to the people looking for it. If you are operating a news blog for instance, the visitor is interested in visiting your blog to get the jist about the most recent happening maybe in the legislative house, sports or the like. A food blogger should write about recipes, cuisine guide, and things like that… Writing entertainment blog posts without pictures or maybe even tweets or instagram posts of the celebrities, you are talking about will be boring. You must resist the temptation of using complex english and technical jargon to avoid confusing your readers.
Remedy: Always write your blog post with the reader in mind. Refrain from complex terms that will be difficult for the reader to understand. Consider increasing text font so that it can be legible by people with sight defects.
- Hosting on slow Servers (hosting company): Hosting on a fast loading host has been overlooked by many Nigerian blogs. My good friend, the connection speed and site up-time will mean your visitors either stay, or bounce off and switch to your competitors’ instead. A site with fast loading speed also has a reduced bounce rate. Speed is a critical factor today especially considering that internet users today have a short attention span and are always in a hurry. Further read on hosting
Remedy: Host your blog on a server host with fast connectivity, and low downtime rate(i.e number of hours it undergo site maintenance) like Bluehost. A server host with less than 99% uptime rate will contribute to you losing visitors. You can investigate site speed from google page speed insights.
Blogging is a part time and full time job that is fun to do. If you avoid the common mistakes that bloggers make, you will be well on your way to achieving good results. Just follow the tips provided in this post and other guides provided by deanalyst.com.
If you benefited from this post, kindly share to your friend who is keen about blogging or is intending to start a blog. Thanks.